A mined ore, Pyrolox® effectively reduces iron, sulfur and manganese from problem water.
• Effective reduction of iron, sulfur and manganese up to 8 parts per million combined
• Durable material with long service life and low annual attrition of bed
• No chemical regeneration required only periodic backwashing
• Color: black
•Bulk Density: 125 lbs./cu. ft.
• Mesh Size: 8 x 20
• Effective Size: 0.51 mm
•Uniform Coefficient: 1.7
• Specific Gravity: 3.8
CONDITIONS FOR OPERATION
• pH: 6.5-9.0
• Bed depth: application dependent
• Backwash flow rate: 25-30 gpm per sq. ft.
• Backwash expansion: 15-30% of bed depth
• Service flow rate: 5 gpm/ sq. ft.
• Freeboard: 40% of bed depth (min.)
A naturally mined ore, Pyrolox is a mineral form of manganese dioxide which has been used in water treatment for more than 75 years. Pyrolox is a granular filtration media for hydrogen sulfide, iron and manganese reduction.
Pyrolox functions as a catalyst, but itself remains relatively unchanged.
Pyrolox works on a principle whereby the hydrogen sulfide, iron and manganese are oxidized and trapped on the media while simple backwashing cleans the bed. No chemical regeneration is required, nothing is imparted into the drinking water and Pyrolox has a high capacity for low contaminant concentrations.
Pyrolox can be used in conjunction with aeration, chlorination, ozone or other pretreatment methods for difficult applications. Chlorine or other oxidants accelerate the catalytic reaction.
Because of its heavy weight, it is very important that Pyrolox filters are backwashed properly to insure adequate bed expansion and continued service life.